Thursday 6 May 2010

Finishing my animation

Due to the skinning problems I had that I could not fix, the quality of my final animation is not as good as intended. As stated, when the meshes had the materials applied the skinning went to pieces (after all that hard work) so I reverted back to the models before the materials were applied, (and I have proof that the skinning worked!) and animated these, but this also failed.

I was left with no other option than to show my audience the movements of my intended animation in the form of only the bipeds.

This does look bad, but due to time running out I had no other choice. An advantage to doing it this, is that if in the future I were to come back to this animation and somehow find a way to fix this problem, the basis for it is already done. All I would have to do is export the scene (the backgrounds, lights and camera(s) ) and save the moving biped file (.BIP) and apply it to the ‘fixed’ mesh(es). And hey presto, I have my animation.

At least with my moving bipeds you can see my intentions for the animation visually rather than just the paperwork. I included the necessary lighting and cameras so literally the only thing that needed sorting was the skinning problem.

Premiere Pro editing allowed me to add the sounds I recorded and give my animation a realistic touch.

Again, due to both the time constraints and my inexperience with 3DS MAX the scenes don’t look as good as they could. I am really disappointed because my primary objective so to speak was to make this animation look realistic, hence the great detail and focus on the modelling portion of this project. The materials like I said is where this went wrong, but I did struggle with materials last Semester also.

One last thing is that I do not understand how the walking animaton I have at the beginning works ok (the skinning mucks up and the legs do not move how I made them move in the MAX file originally – 3DS mucking up my work again!) and the latter files do not even have a moving mesh let alone an almost complete scene. I just cannot comprehend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment